Waikama Rd 53a, Kapaau
- Remarks: Rare opportunity to own a 485-acre parcel of subdividable land in historic North Kohala. Wide ocean views sweep from the cliffs of Pololu Valley across the north shore of the Big Island towards the towns of Kapaau and Hawi.
This could be a legacy purchase for a buyer who wishes to preserve and enhance the rich tradition of these historic lands.
Nestled between the Waipunalau Gulch to the west and the Waikama Gulch to the east; bounded by the Kohala Ditch on a portion of the lower (north) side and the Kohala Forest Preserve on the upper (south) side, this parcel embodies the agricultural heritage of Kohala. Currently used for cattle grazing on its eastern portion, its deep fertile soil would support many types of agriculture.
The middle section was previously licensed to a small scale sustainable farm. There are unpermitted farm structures on the land, including a solar/photovoltaic system.
With two existing lots of record, consolidation and resubdivision would be possible immediately if it better suited the purchaser’s vision. The Ag-20 zoning could in principle allow for additional lots to be subdivided in time.
One bordering gulch was previously the site of a zip-line; Kohala Ditch Adventures launches at a section adjacent to this parcel. The land has potential for eco-tourism or agricultural tourism.
Water features include a pond, spring and seasonal streams and waterfalls in the gulches. Rainfall in this area is adequate for catchment water for agriculture and dwellings. A catchment pond was constructed to support the cattle ranching operation along with substantial fencing of pastures.
The amenities of Kapaau and Hawi-restaurants, galleries, shops, Kamehameha Park for recreation, weekly farmers market— are a few miles from the property. The famous beaches of the Kohala Coast are a 40-minute drive. Hawi’s Upolu airport can accommodate a small jet; Kona airport is 90 minutes away.
- Tour: http://www.realtourshi.com/Tour/BTRpr/TW_Kohala500.html
- Exterior Area (Sq Ft): 0
- Oceanfront Parcel: N
- Fence/Wall: Wire
- Frontage: Pasture,Preservation,Other (remarks)
- Garage Area (Total): 0
- Land Area (Sq Ft): 21126600
- Land Tenure: Fee Simple
- Lava Zone: 9
- Lot Description – Land: Grassy,Other (remarks)
- Pool: N
- Power: Solar/Photovoltaic
- Roads: Graded,Unpaved
- Wastewater: None
- Solid Waste Disposal (Trash): None
- Topography: Rolling Terrain,Other (remarks)
- View: Coastline,Mountain,Ocean,Ocean Horizon,Pasture,Waterfall
- Water: Other (remarks)
- Monthly Association/Maintenance Fees: 0
- Assessed Value: 58200
- Fees-Total (Monthly) (sum of Assn,Maint and Other): 0
- Tax Key 9: 352005001
- Taxes (Annual): 538
- Tax Key: 3520050010000
- District: North Kohala
- Zoning: A-20A
- Assessment Year: 2012
- MLS #: 263044
- Price: $3,200,000
- Interior Area (Sq Ft): 0
- Bedrooms (Total): 0
- Bathrooms (Total): 0
- Baths Full (Total): 0
- Baths 3/4 (Total): 0
- Baths 1/2 (Total): 0
- Baths 1/4 (Total): 0
- Lot ID: 53A
- Subdivision: Makapala-Makanikahio 1st
- Zip Code: 96755